Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Summer is Here I Think - And Other Stuff

Ok, last night's winter storm caused me to realize I hadn't updated my blog since our last winter storm. So, at least I am consistent with my timing, about three times a year! I don't know, I am a pretty technical guy coming from Microsoft but I am finding all these internet communications options are beginning to take up a lot of time. I mean, we have our Sound Harley-Davidson web site, then I have this blog, then I have a Facebook, account a LinkedIn account and yes I have a Twitter account that I very rarely use. Honestly one could blow the whole day trying to stay up to date on the "grid".

So this blog is suppose to be about what is on my mind. I could write a book but you wouldn't be interested. At the risk of being a little random some things I am thinking about include the state of the economy, good weather, my bike trip I am about to take and the recognition we were fortunate to receive recently. I will start with the last item.

If you have visited our Sound Harley site you have probably read that we were fortunate to have been awarded the 2008 Gold Bar and Shield from the Motor Company. This award is given to the top 25 Harley dealers in the nation (out of 685) for their results in customer satisfaction and business operations. We have worked very hard to earn the business of our all of our customers over the last two years and is nice for us to know that we are right up there with 24 other dealers that have been around many more years than us. With that said, I am not egotistical enough let this go to our head as I know we have to earn our customer's business and trust every single day and there are always opportunities to raise the bar and do even better. This is something we are committed to doing always. Our customers have a lot of choices in the Puget Sound region, we know that and we know we have to provide exceptional service to continue to earn your business. You have our commitment to that. We were also excited to have earned the status of a "Top 100 Dealer", by "Dealer News". "Dealer News" is an industry organization that represents ALL motor sports dealers so for this recognition we competed with thousands of motor sport dealerships. While these awards are nice the most rewarding recognition for me is when a customer writes how delighted they are with their bike, an employee or something they experienced at the dealership. It honestly makes my day to receive these.

Ok, on to summer. As usual, I am ready for it to be here and even have 16 years of living out here mother nature always fools me, making me think summer his here only to have it snow in March or some other weird weather event like getting the winter storm we got last night (in May). I am sure it must be "Man made Global Warming"! (No I haven't drank this cool aid yet). In any case there are more sunny days happening than rainy days and I have been out a lot on my bike in both. My bike is like a magnet to me about this time of the year. I know the best days of our riding season out here are limited so I want to take advantage of every opportunity to ride. It makes me feel good and helps me forget about all the bad news.

Speaking of bad news, I am thinking we are over the hump on the economy. Yeah, it will be a long crawl out, and if by chance you happen to be unemployed right now you might not agree, but I think there are enough signs to suggest that we are over the worst part. Once again, Harley has survived a tough economic time as it has many times in it's long history. It is time to get on your bike and leave the past behind this summer. "Cycle Therapy" is cheaper than "Psycho Therapy" and a lot more fun. Once again there a ton of biker events and rides to do this summer. Just take a look at our calendar of events alone and you have a lot of fun, free, or inexpensive riding options available. While we might all be forgoing big vacations this summer those of us with bikes know we can go on a vacation every day with local rides or some memorable cross country rides. Speaking of longer rides, I am finally going to do one I have on my "Bucket List", and that is a ride down the Pacific Coast Hwy of California then over to Yosemite and then up to Lake Tahoe before returning to Seattle.

I'm leaving in a couple of weeks and will take about two weeks to do the ride (I want to experience some of the places along the way so this isn't going to a butt burning run). For those of you interested I have established a blog where I will be posting updates and pictures daily, assuming I can find Wi-Fi at my motels. It is:


I am having another birthday this month, much to my dismay although it is better than the alternative, and I continue to hear about friends and family getting sick or running into other challenges in their life. I figure the time is right to start doing some things I have put on the back burner for a long time and slip them into the other complexities of my life before it is too late. These rides are important to me, they clear my mind, re-energize me and help me get re-focused when I return. I don't know, maybe it is a way to help me get over the fact that my youngest heads off to college in a few months and I will have two at school and Marianne and I will essentially be "empty nesters". (Don't think I like that term).

Ok, that's all for now. Will try to update this again before September, but no guarantees.

Ride Safe and Have Fun. Until next time.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter